Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back to Football


The first thing I'd like to talk about is Hall's state-of-mind.

No doubt Max has what it takes to blow teams up for big stats. Going into his Senior year he already ranks up there with some of BYU's best Quarterbacks. The fact that he plays his position with the intensity of an over-roided linebacker makes him extremely fun to watch. I enjoy his fearlessness and trash-talking when he gets in the face of a D-lineman, but I wonder if all of these things led to his poor performance in the last 2 games of the year?

Here are his stats for the last two games of the season.

Against Utah 21-41 for 205 yards no touchdowns passes, 5 interceptions and a fumble.
Remember, he was the first to toe the line in the pre-game skirmish.

Against Arizona 30-47 for 328 yards, 1 touchdown pass, 1 interception, 1 fumble.
Watching the game against Arizona it seemed like he was playing angry.

Overall that put him at 51-88 for 528 yards, 1 touchdown pass and 8 total turnovers to end the season.

I can't decide if I'd like to see him settle down and enjoy a calm and composed Senior season like Beck, or keep the combustive personality that makes him so exciting to watch. After all, who knows how many games BYU has won because of his fiery approach to the game.

Any thoughts?


3 comments:

  1. This blog has been around since 2008? wtf, man? I will not comment on whether or not Max's emotions cause him to throw interceptions. It's not the kind of talk I expect from you. Your job as a fan is to gloss over any shortcomings or reposition them as strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaron! Good to see you on!

    The 2008 posts were a half-hearted attempt at best. Once we lost to Arizona and Utah beat Alabama, my bravado turtle-shelled like my wang on a cold day.

    You are right, though. Our job is to look at the bright side and I think you may have missed the point of my last post. I was trying to say that because he got rid of all of his interceptions and fumbles last year, he now has no more turnovers to give. Nothing but touchdowns and gumdrops for 2009. Not only will we be National champs, but we're going to be those bastards on Mars! BYU, solar system champs 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I can tell in player interviews, etc., is that Hall is more mature and composed after last year, especially the last two games. What I hope to see, and expect to see, is the old, fiery Hall more under control. Controlled fury, if you will.

    ReplyDelete