Sunday, September 13, 2009

Florida State Predictions!

Unfortunately, I didn't get a prediction in last game, since I didn't check the blog before the Tulane game was already over (coming here is part of my victory digestion ritual, along with reading every article I can find about the cougars until my neck hurts because it's propped up against my bedpost. My neck hurts so much right now).

But I've got to say, BYU looked pretty smokin', and I feel much better about the Florida State game after seeing them nearly choke against Jacksonville State. I know we're all superstitious on some level, and I would hate to jinx it, but I think we're going to go undefeated out of conference. There's no reason why BYU shouldn't beat Florida State (and Utah State goes without saying), especially if FSU plays anything like they did yesterday. Of course, they won't play like that, since they'll definitely pull out all the stops for a game against the Cougars that could spell redemption for their program.

However, FSU QB Christian Ponder seemed frustrated and confused throughout the entire game against Jacksonville, and that wasn't dealing with the mighty Cougars. Plus, it's in Provo. I give BYU this win by ten points.



Also, go Max! He's ranked number 4 this week in the Heisman Watch.

5 comments:

  1. From here on out every team is going to give BYU their best shot. It's the exact same situation the Cougs found themselves in last year when they were ranked in the top ten. I think the difference this year is the Cougs are in a better place mentally and instead of accidently "finding themselves" in the top ten; this year they're working to be a top ten team. It feels like they are playing more comfortable with a giant target on their back, than in previous seasons.

    As far as predictions go, Florida State being the home opener, you have to expect LES to be out-of-this-world loud. I can see BYU coming out charged with adrenaline, which can be good and bad. I konw I'm waffling, but this game will go one of two ways. #1. BYU will destroy Florida State in the same fashion they dismantled UCLA last year, where every play for the Cougs is full of testosterone-driven-waiting-till-marriage-anger, to be taken out upon the Seminoles. #2. BYU will come out with unbridled energy and make some mistakes, get some personal fouls, and keep a very speedy FSU team in the game because of mental lapse.

    Either way, BYU should win this game. I say BYU 42, FSU 21.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say, judging from FSU's game against Miami, that this will be a high-scoring game on the BYU side. I think BYU's defense is much tougher than Miami or Jacksonville so I'm not as optimistic as Joe that FSU will score in the 20's. I predict BYU-34, FSU-14.
    P.S. My prediction on the Tulane game was right for about 10 minutes after the second half started... do I get a prize?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get one half and ten minutes worth of respect followed my 5 minutes and one quarter of disappointed stares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a toughy. My not-so-confident prediction is BYU, 45, FSU, 24, which I just noticed is Joe's prediction plus a field goal for each team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit, I've gone back and forth on my prediction since watching Miami lick #14 Georgia Techs ace...yes, I'm aware I said lick and of the double meaning. I get that Florida State had them at home in a rivalry game, but still...how good is Miami? And yes, I also get that FL State almost threw away a big game against a bad team last week...but if ever there existed an excuse to play that bad and still win, right after losing on the one yard line to your rival...perhaps this was the one. How good is Miami? How good is Florida State? And, most importantly, how good are the mighty Cougs? Answer: Very good, good and great! The cougs will have a great first quarter playing off the electric atmosphere that will be LES...many of them will play the entire quarter floating just above the ground while be administered to by angels. Florida State will have a nice second quarter making a game of it. However, the second half will be all cougs graciously slitting the mother loving throats of the adversary...so to speak. My greatest fear and the biggest question in my mind is; will Max Hall be translated sometime in the fourth or will he be allowed to tarry amongst us into week 3? BYU--41, Florida State--24

    ReplyDelete